Olive Oil Poached Salmon09/16/2021
Mushroom Grilled Cheese09/16/2021
Roasted Veggie Open Sandwiches
Think of this as an Italian sub’s lighter cousin. It’s packed with generous amounts of vegetables, but still has a nice layer of melted cheese to keep it delicious. Even though there’s a fair amount of chopping, broiling the vegetables instead of roasting them cuts down on cooking time. You’ll scoop out the inside of the bread loaf to nestle the vegetables, so save those bread scraps to use in homemade breadcrumbs. If you’re feeling extra hungry and want to bulk up the meal, serve with a cup of soup.
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced, fronds reserved for garnish
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower, florets thinly sliced
- 7 tablespoons The Lunatic Extra Virgin Olive Oil of your choice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 French bread loaf, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 slices provolone cheese (6½ oz.)
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- Preheat broiler to high with oven rack 4 inches from heat.
- Lightly coat a large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. Arrange carrots, fennel, bell pepper, and cauliflower in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet; drizzle with 1 tablespoon of The Lunatic Olive Oil. Season with ¼ teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Broil, stirring once halfway through, until lightly charred, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar and the remaining 6 tablespoons of The Lunatic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
- Remove vegetables from the oven; set aside. Scoop out some crumbs from bread halves to create 2 shells. Place shells on a clean rimmed baking sheet; broil until golden, about 1 minute.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons dressing over toasted bread shells. Top with roasted vegetables, then drizzle with additional 2 tablespoons dressing. Top with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Cut into pieces, then garnish with fennel fronds.
- Toss arugula with remaining dressing. Serve with sandwiches.